WELCOME TO YBB: DIARIES OF LIFE IN SCHOOL AND THE CITY ... feel free to post questions, comments, videos, pictures, etc ... and dont forget to become a member or subscribe for YBB updates!

Friday, March 6, 2009

Je ne comprends pas

I'm swamped with assignments this weekend :s
going out is the last thing on my mind
...despite the fact that I just got an invitation from M

it's to an event that I wouldn't mind going to, if it wasn't for the fact that most of the guests are part of a crowd that I kind of had a falling out with...it's not that anything horrible happened, it's just that we didn't really click; I tried to make things work with them but the friendships we had felt fake; I've never really felt close to them or completely comfortable with them...so aside from the obligatory nod of recognition that must be given when I happen to bump into them on campus, I have no desire to have a relationship with any of them, especially because it's my last year, I'm way too busy to care

Anyways, back to M
...We met in one of the libraries on campus a few years ago
he's really nice and smart to...so he has some potential

but he's missing the necessary witty sense of humour and open mindedness that I crave in relationships + there's a huge language barrier :s awkward
Its not that he doesn't speak English, he does....but its not exactly his first or second language, which isn't unusual in this city, but it makes things a little more difficult
I almost feel like there's a bit of a cultural barrier to...he doesn't get some of the subtleties of the English language and is somewhat out of touch with mainstream culture so much of my wit is completely lost on him...in addition to the fact that at least half of our conversations consist of "what?"', "pardon?", "peux-tu repeter s'il te plait?", "peux-tu parler plus lentment s'il te plait?"...I even got a straight up "je ne comprends pas" after spending a good 5 minutes telling him about my trip back home for reading week.

Can you build a real relationship with someone you can barely understand/can barely understand you?

He's still really good company though, and on the plus side, being a grad student himself, he understands the demands of my student lifestyle so I'm able to just call him whenever I want to go out and not have all the pressure of being so accountable to him, something I'm not interested in at this point in my life...so I cant completely write him off

But I definitely wont be taking him up on his invitation this weekend (he's kind of at the bottom of the totem pole)
...school first
...then guys I'm really interested in (a category that has yet to be filled this semester)
...then catching up on sleep and hanging out with friends
...then other guys (like M and K)

2 comments:

  1. oh well.. he'll get a hang of the english language soon enough.. you should speak a little slower sometimes.. et tu parle francais? even a little bit? then I'm sure it will be okay...

    ReplyDelete
  2. oui, mais seulement un peu. I hope so, I'm really trying but it makes things sort of awkward, sometimes I'm not sure if I'm being helpful or patronizing when I speak to him really slowly and only use simple words :s

    ReplyDelete